Need help with a specific question? Try posting them in our new Forum

  Student Engineer  

 Home

Energy Efficiency

Energy which we measure in Joules is never lost, it is only transferred into other types of energy.  A typical filament light bulb (non energy saver type) is very inefficient at producing light. Why? Because where 10% of the input energy may be given off as useful light, the remaining 90% can be given off as heat. This is considered wasted energy as the heat is a by product of obtaining the useful intended light energy.

We can calculate the efficiency of any appliance that transfers energy by using the following equation:

Inefficient bulb


EngineerStudent.co.uk © 2016